One observer notes: “She’s really very dynamic and you get the feeling she will fight tooth and nail for the client.”
Liz Ward – an accredited Expert in her Field
Chambers and Partners UK 2015
An industry ranked ‘Leader in her Field’ for the past 6 years; Liz has over 20 years’ experience advising on a wide range of matters in the field of Intellectual Property. Liz has built up an enviable reputation due to her exceptional ability as a knowledgeable litigator, and has been especially praised for her commercial awareness. An expert in the healthcare and technology sectors, Liz has advised all manner of clients in commercialising their IP assets, and her practice has set the gold standard in carrying out company IP audits.
Liz’s previous experience working for two highly respected international law firms, coupled with her degree in Genetics and Cell Biology and 10 years healthcare business experience, give her an unrivalled legal and technical insight in any matters concerning complex scientific and technological matters.
Liz also advises on patent, trade mark and registered design infringement and validity issues, as well as negotiating and drafting commercial IP agreements and advising on the IP aspects of corporate deals. In addition Liz has considerable experience of confidential information, design right, copyright patent and trade mark matters.
Liz is the Principal at Virtuoso Legal, a practice she set up to deal with the specialist requirements of companies for Intellectual Property and Information Technology legal advice.
Liz is qualified as a supervising solicitor for Search and Seizure Orders and has helped other solicitors who need a suitably qualified person to oversee such searches. She also lectures and assists with electronic disclosure and theft of electronic information by employees and others.
Liz is recommended by clients as being thorough, approachable and commercial.
Liz Ward at Virtuoso Legal has worked for several years for Dennison Trailers. Liz has always provided me with commercial advice and she understands the importance of providing practical, clear advice in relation to our intellectual property requirements. Liz assisted us in defending an alleged patent infringement case in 2011 by explaining our legal position and the best strategy to adopt. She has also assisted us when our designs were taken by a former employee and used by a third party. Liz is currently advising on some complex patent issues.
Jane Dennison – Legal Director and Group Company Secretary, Dennison Trailers Limited
Virtuoso Legal have given us tremendous value. I knew there were holes in our IP protection but I didn’t know what or where. Virtuoso Legal helped us identify the holes which we’re now filling. I’m a great believer that finding partners in business is more beneficial than finding suppliers. I consider Virtuoso Legal to be a valued partner. I have no hesitation in recommending them.
Simon Hartley – Founder, Be World Class Limited
Barristers are uniquely placed to judge the ability of the solicitors or patent agents who instruct them and Liz Ward is one of the best IP solicitors I have known in my 32 years at the Bar.
Jane Lambert Head of NIPC Chambers
I’ve had to engage a FEW lawyers in my time, but i’ve never dropped lucky like THIS. The out of hours meetings, the resolve – the complete wiping the floor with the opposition. It was like pitching the other sides water gun against the H bomb that was Liz Ward.
Nicky Pattinson @ Hiya Its Nicky Limited
Notable Cases in the last 7 years.
- Manvers Engineering Limited v Mayflower Limited (Patent infringement and validity)
- EDS Limited v Synergy PLC and others. (Patent and breach of confidence)
- Air Parade Limited v Travel Republic Limited and Roger Fenton (Database theft, breach of confidence)
- Ideas Projects Limited v Ideal Standard (Design right infringement )
- Off the Wall (UK) Limited v Sambell Engineering (Registered Design Right Infringement)
- Schering Plough Limited v Savant Healthcare Limited (Trade Mark infringement and passing off)
- Sport Direct Trade Mark revocation
- ELAS v Simply HR Limited (breach of confidential information and database theft.)
- Mars PLC v Wagg Foods Limited (trade mark infringement and passing off)
- Jack Johnson v Derek Landy and Harper Collins Publishers Limited (trade mark infringement and passing off)
- Cyprotex Discovery Limited v the University of Sheffield Court of Appeal (Software dispute)