“Matthew Lingard sent in an impressive CV to Virtuoso Legal. He then came for work placement experience and was so good we couldn’t let him go. Matthew has a Masters in IP and Cyberlaw and has a real understanding of how this is applied in business. Client’s value Matthew’s clear advice and can do attitude.”
Elizabeth Ward – Principal Virtuoso Legal
Matt is a solicitor based in our Leeds office who specialises in disputes involving complex technology and the internet. Matt has advised clients on issues relating to domain name disputes through to software infringement. He is comfortable handling matters involving technology and is praised by clients for his ability to grasp complex issues quickly and articulate them clearly.
While working at the firm Matt has been involved with a wide array of matters. He has a large amount of litigation experience and is currently assisting senior fee earners to conduct high value complex claims. Matt has assisted on claims that have been heard in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, the High Court and the Court of Appeal. Matt’s experience includes drafting letters to opposing solicitors, disclosing and managing documents, drafting costs schedules, preparing witness statements, instructions to counsel and preparing trial bundles. Matt also assists our non-contentious fee earners and has gained experience with drafting a wide range of commercial agreements and contracts. He has assisted on a number of company IP audits and is comfortable advising businesses on their IP strategy and management.
Matt has also previously advised clients on copyright issues, design right infringement claims and trade mark matters. Matt also has a particular interest in the brewing industry having worked in the industry previously for a number of years. Matt has written a number of articles regarding the IP protection and commercialisation opportunities available to brewers and is always keen to hear from anyone seeking advice in this area.
Matt was awarded his LLM in Cyberlaw from Leeds University in 2013, having first obtained an undergraduate honours degree in Law. He was awarded his Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice in February 2017. Matt’s postgraduate education was focused on Intellectual Property with specific emphasis on technology. In accordance with his studies, Matt submitted an extensive study of current copyright legislation in regards to second-hand software. Matt was awarded a distinction for his comprehensive comparison of current US and European in this matter.
- Argos Ltd v Argos Systems Inc  EWHC 231 (Ch), 15 February 2017
- LLB (Hons) Law – University of Leeds
- LLM (Hons) Cyberlaw – University of Leeds
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (LPC) – BPP Leeds
- Matt is currently a member of the Society for Computers and Law. The Society for Computers and Law is the leading UK organisation for legal professionals advising and practising within the IT sector or advising in a commercial context with a brief that includes such issues as IT, data protection and e-commerce.
- “NOCN (formerly National Open College Network) v Open College Network Credit4Learning – charities and ownership of goodwill in descriptive marks” The Reporter [Issue 108, 2015]
To speak to Matthew, or for more information about how we can help you, call:
01132 379 900